Saturday, May 4, 2013

Cave Men Magnets

Remember those magnet dress up dolls we played with as kids?  Well, maybe it's the cultural anthropologist in me, but I kind of see the world like that. Except instead of people in their underwear under the magnets, what I see are cave men and cave women. 

So that's where I come from. When a friend complains about being unhappily married even though her husband always loads the dishwasher, when one of my sixth grade students asks me why men don't seem to ever grow up, when I talk to a parent who just doesn't know what to do with their out-of-control child- I always come from the same place. All of these rubber magnet clothes that we put on every day are pretty but a lie. The caveman stuff underneath is the truth. And until you start dealing with the truth, nothing will ever ever change.

Mine is not the only perspective you will see on this blog. The goal is for many vastly different perspectives to be represented here. What all of those perspectives will have in common, though, is a desire to get to the truth. The truth about what it is to be a woman now. The truth that we need to share with young girls. The truth that each one of us has which needs to be shared.

So here's what I know. I don't know that much about how to be a real woman, a happy woman, a successful woman, etc. But what I do know, I'm going to share here.


1 comment: